Friday, November 27, 2009

Bridget's 2nd Birthday

The birthday cake - carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and decorated with two of her favorite things...Sesame Street and M&Ms.I tried to upload the video of her blowing out her candles but it wouldn't upload, so here's a picture. If you want to see the video, it's on Facebook.Her favorite present from Mom & Dad - a doll that drinks a bottle, laughs, and cries. She loves babies and pretending to be a mommy.
In case you're wondering why she's wearing 3 different outifits in these birthday pictures, it's because she got to celebrate for 3 days (Thanksgiving day with the family that was here, her actual birthday with us, and Saturday with more family).Up until recently, Bridget didn't really enjoy coloring. Now that one of her favorite activities so the crayons and giant coloring book from her great grandma were a hit. Even Grandma and Grandpa had to get in on the action.



We wanted to do something special with Bridget on her birthday, so we took her to the Treehouse Children's Museum. She certainly loved running around exploring everything, and didn't want to leave when it was time.


Here's her 2 year stats from the doctor's appointment:

Height: 36 inches (94th percentile)

Weight: 33 pounds (96th percentile)

Head: 20 inches (99th percentile)


And Bridget is finally pacifier free! For weeks beforehand we prepped her by telling her that it had to go away when she turned two. And on the night of her birthday when took it away she had a total meltdown to the point that it was almost breaking my heart to do it. After several minutes of her crying in her bed, I cut the pacifier and took it into her to show her that it was ruined and see if she still wanted it. She was devasted and kept saying, "Mommy fix it. Sewing stuff." or "Daddy fix it." She's seen me fix her stuffed animals with my sewing stuff and assumed that I could fix the pacifier that way too. When other things are broken around the house and Nate has to fix them, I always tell her that Daddy has to fix it. The amazing thing was that I told her to stop crying so I could talk to her, and she did. Then I told her she had 2 choices. She could either stop crying and go to sleep so she could wake up happy or cry in her bed all night. And it worked. She chose to go to bed without crying. So it was a much easier transition than we were expecting, and she now sleeps much better and consistently through the night.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow. I can't believe she is two years already. Her parties all looked and sounded like tons of fun. Oh, man the story about the pacifier was so sad when she asked you to fix it. Now it's time to potty train...unless you have already? :)