Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fall Break Yellowstone Trip

In mid-October, I had a 4-day fall break from school, so we decided to head to West Yellowstone to visit Nate's parents and so Nate could help his Dad work on the shop he's building. Although I've been to West Yellowstone dozens of times in my life, I've never been there so late in the year, and it was certainly a peaceful place. Nate and his dad spent all of Friday and half of Saturday working together on the shop.

After the rain seemed to taper off Saturday afternoon, Nate, Bridget, and I headed into Yellowstone Park. Amazingly, Nate had never been there before, so it was nice to go when it was a little less busy. Bridget loved the animal checklist and had a good eye for spotting them even if all we saw was a bunch of elk and buffalo. She was really hoping to see some bears, but no luck with that.

We didn't have much time to spend in the park before it got dark, so we checked out some geysers at the Lower Geyser Basin and then headed to Old Faithful.

Bridget was pretty good while waiting for Old Faithful for 20-25 minutes and only tried to jump off the boardwalk a couple of times.
I'm actually amazed Old Faithful shows up as well as it did in the picture considering the cloudy, dark sky in the background.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've never seen Old Faithful on such a cloudy, overcast day. It's still awesome to see no matter what.