Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November Happenings

Since I've let a whole month go by without a single post, here's a long one with all of our excitement.

At the beginning of the month, Nate celebrated another birthday. I won't mention how old he turned because that would be rude, but it's way more than the number of candles pictured in his birthday pie. We started the day off with Mother's Crunchy French Toast (a recipe from a delicious restaurant in Portland). Later that day we met up with my sister Jessica, brother-in-law Matt, and nephew Colin for dinner at Mi Ranchito before heading back to their apartment to eat Nate's birthday pie - Black Bottom Peanut Butter Pie (also a recipe from Mother's Bistro).
Another fun happening we had this month was getting rid of Nate's 2-door car and upgrading to a 2008 Honda Pilot EX. With the upcoming expansion of our family, we needed something that will hold 2 car seats more comfortably and still have plenty of cargo room for road trips. It was great timing too because days after we bought it the snow storms started, and it's been great for driving in bad weather. The picture below is one I stole off the internet, but it's our same car - Aberdeen Green (basically a metallic grayish green).
For Thanksgiving this year, we didn't have to travel anywhere because several of my family members came to us, and we hosted at our house. The night before, we got together with my extended family for dinner and then headed to Nate's extended family's for their traditional pie night.

Nate and my brother, being the avid runners that they are, signed up for a 10k Turkey Trot Thursday morning. They (along with my cousin Steve) were crazy enough to run that far in 14 degree weather! At least it wasn't snowing.
The entire Thanksgiving feast was prepared in my kitchen. Thankfully, it's a good size, but I was really wishing I had 2 ovens, a 6-burner stove, and a larger refrigerator. The picture below is one I stole from my sister Jessica off Facebook (thanks Jessica). My brother, Mark, is the one peeling potatoes in the background while I'm rolling out my roll dough. And in case you are wondering, I only made the chocolate mint pie on the right. Megan and Jessica made the pumpkin and apple pies. It was great to have so many of my family members here - Mark, Other Mark, Emily, Enoch, Asher, Megan, Jessica, Matt, Colin, and Nate and Bridget of course.
November is birthday month at our house, so we finished off the month celebrating Bridget's 3rd birthday. Sadly, she had the worst cold she's ever had and was pretty sick during Thanksgiving and her birthday. We started off her special day by letting her open her presents from us first thing that morning. She got a shopping cart, play food, and a sweater. Note to self: Do no let her open birthday presents before breakfast next year because then she just wants to play instead of eat.
For lunch that day, we met up with some of my family for lunch at Paradise Bakery. Mark and Mark even supplied birthday cupcakes and candles since I knew I wasn't going to get her birthday cake made before lunch.
She was so shy about blowing out the candles, so Aunt Megan had to assist.
While she napped that afternoon, I decorated her Curious George birthday cake (homemade chocolate cake with a cookies and cream filling and white buttercream frosting). We'd planned to take her bowling that evening, but her illness and crabby mood made us decide to wait a few days until she's feeling better.
Here's her 3-year-old stats from her checkup at the doctor's office yesterday:
Height: 41" (99th percentile)
Weight: 38 lbs. (94th percentile)
Head Circumference: 20"
She's tall, thin, and basically the size of a 4-year-old.

And finally, Nate really got into putting up Christmas lights this year. He's not one to usually care much about holidays, so he surprised me with his festiveness. Here's our very green house:
All in all, November was a pretty good month for us. Baby girl #2 is also still doing well, and everything looked perfect at her anatomy scan we had at the beginning of the month.

No comments: