Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fire Station Field Trip

When I met with Bridget's preschool teacher last spring before I decided to enroll her, I asked how many field trips the kids go on, and she said about one a month. Sadly, that has not been the case. Here it is January, and this is only the 2nd field trip they've gone on this year. Anyway, I was happy to be able to go with her on this one as we toured our city's fire department.

Her teacher actually has 3 different classes, so there were about 24 kids there. Here's a picture of her class together sitting on the front of the ladder truck.
The kids had the opportunity to walk through part of the ladder truck, walk through an ambulance (Bridget thought that was pretty cool), see the inside of the fire station where the firemen sleep, eat, and hangout, and see, hear, and touch the fireman while he had all of his gear on.
I also really appreciated the lessons in fire safety - not playing with matches, having a meeting place outside for your family, stop, drop, and roll, etc. - since that's not something we've ever really discussed with Bridget.

It was also kind of cool because while we were there all of the firemen had to leave on a call with the pump truck and ambulance leaving the fire chief to do some of the instruction.

At the end, all of the kids got little plastic fireman hats, and Bridget looked pretty darn cute in hers.
Although this was not her first time in a fire truck (thanks to Grandpa being a fire chief), she had a pretty good time.

No comments: