Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

This was the first Mother's Day since I've been a mom that we spent the day together just as our little family. Usually we get together for dinner with Nate's extended family, but it was nice to do our own thing this time.

We had church first thing in the morning, so I spent the morning trying to hurry and get us all out the door on time. At church they gave all the women pots with soil and Forget Me Not flower seeds along with the copy of a talk by the same title by Deiter F. Uchtdorf. I remember how much I loved that talk when he gave it to the women of our church and the way it made me feel. Sometimes I need that reminder to be more patient with myself. I need to be happy with where I'm at in life right now and not always waiting to find happiness when certain things or events occur.

The rest of the day we just spent together. Bridget was so excited for Mother's Day and had been asking me for weeks when this day would finally get here. I loved seeing her excitement and the special things she tried to do for me that day including wrapping my gift herself. It wasn't what she wanted to give me, but it was what I wanted (a hand vac). She was so sweet to think of a gift for me, but it was more money than I wanted Nate to spend. She remembered me telling her a while back that I used to play the flute, but that I didn't have it anymore. It got left at my parents' house, and from there I have no idea what happened to it. She really wanted to give me a new flute, and I must admit her thoughtfulness brought tears to my eyes just as it did to hers as Nate explained to her that it was too expensive of a gift.

That afternoon we made it to the cemetery to put flowers on my mom's grave. I must admit that it's times like this that I really miss her. I can't believe it's been almost 11 years already. I wish so much that my girls could know her, but pictures and stories will have to suffice. I'm just grateful she was such a wonderful example of motherhood for me to follow. I know that as a child, I wasn't always the best and certainly didn't always agree with her parenting, but now I see a lot of wisdom in the things she said and did. She must have done a lot of things right since all 7 of us seem to have turned out pretty well.

I love my girls so much, and am so grateful Heavenly Father trusted me with their spirits and allowed me to be their mother. Sometimes I feel like I'm far from perfect, but I'm so grateful for all that I get to learn in the process. I've certainly learned more patience and have a better understanding of sacrifice. More than anything, I'm grateful for the love I feel for them and from them every single day.

No comments: