Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Surprise Baby Shower
Over the past 2-3 months or so, multiple people (including my sisters Megan and Jessica) have asked me if I would like a baby shower. My response was always pretty much the same. I feel weird about having a second shower. I don't want people to feel obligated to get me a gift when I have most of the essential baby items already. All I'm really in need of is clothes, blankets, diapers, and wipes and I'm good to go. So that's what I planned to do - buy it all myself. I wasn't too worried because I can gradually stock up on diapers and wipes in the coming months, and I'm certainly not opposed to used baby clothing since most of it is in pretty good shape because they outgrow it so fast.
But my two little sisters are amazing. They love to throw parties and decided that since I wasn't gung-ho about the whole thing, they would throw me one anyway as a surprise. And boy was it a surprise! I had absolutely no idea, and it turned out to be so much fun.
They started forming a plan the end of July and involved my cousin Lori, who offered to host it at her home. Megan sent out invitations through email to my extended family, a few close friends, and some of Nate's family. Jessica lives in Oklahoma, so they picked a date they hoped would work so she could be here for my shower as well as for my cousin Lisa's wedding.
Lori's plan to get me to her house completely worked too, and they even got Nate in on the plan to make sure I would get there. Lori invited my family over for dinner at her house and told me she was inviting my friend Desaray's family over as well since Lori and her family just moved into Desaray's ward a few months ago. So my family and I showed up with the dessert I brought to go with the dinner. When I walked into house, the first thing I noticed was the large number of chocolate covered strawberries and cupcakes all over her kitchen table. It really confused me because I brought a dessert too and didn't understand why we needed so much dessert, and then I heard the big, "Surprise!" As I looked over into her family room, it was filled with my closest friends and family which completely amazed me. It was almost overwhelming to feel such love and support from so many people.
Nate left, and the party got started. They did a pasta bar for dinner along with the delicious desserts. Everyone ate and then we played a game while I opened gifts (they actually had a couple planned but ran out of time). I got so many cute clothes, some diapers, and a few other things. I wish that I'd been able to visit more with all of the people there, but Nate left both Bridget and Felicity with me at the party which made it hard for me to relax and visit.
Because it was such a surprise, I didn't think to take pictures, so all I got was this one with me, Jessica, Isla, and Megan. I'm so grateful to them and all the hard work they went to in order to pull this off and am so appreciative to all those who came. It's definitely something I'll never forget!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment