Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend Tradition

This year was my fourth year participating in Race for the Cure, and it was so much fun to have my sisters Megan and Jessica and brother-in-law Matt join me. I love how this race always falls on the day before Mother's Day and the opportunity it provides to reflect upon my own mother. It's hard to describe to anyone who's never seen it or participated in it what this event is like. Every year there's more participants and this year was no exception - 18,000 people compared to 16,000 in 2008. It's amazing to see so many families and friends walking or running together to support breast cancer survivors or remember those who've lost their lives to it.

Megan and I don't love running as much as some of our other siblings, so we chose to walk the 5k, but Jessica and Matt forced their way through the crowd and ran it.

Afterward we hung out at Megan's new apartment and Nate and Bridget came down to join us so we could also celebrate Megan's birthday a little late.
Megan and I also played a little Dr. Mario on her Wii, and she creamed me. I have many memories of my mom coaxing me into playing this game with her on our old school Nintendo. She was so addicted to it and would not be proud of how poorly I played on Saturday.

1 comment:

Emily and Dustin said...

What a great way to remember your mom. I should get more involved in Race for the Cure. I'd definitely be walking the 5k thought. :)