Sunday, May 3, 2009

My First Wedding Cake


Yesterday two of my very good friends (Corey and Desaray) got married, and I had the opportunity to make my very first wedding cake for them. I was very pleased with how it turned out in appearance as well as taste, so it made all the labor and stress worth it. Making this cake was a definite learning experience and should I attempt to make any more in the future, hopefully it will be a little easier. One of the big things I learned is that attempting a time-consuming project like this with a toddler who constantly wants my attention is not an easy task. For this reason, I may have to postpone doing this as a possible side job/hobby until we're done having children and they're all a little older. I also now understand why wedding cakes are so expensive because they are extremely labor intensive in addition to the cost of the ingredients and decorations.

The bottom and top tiers were white cake with a strawberry mousse filling, and the middle tier was a white/chocolate marble cake with a chocolate mousse filling. The cake is frosted with a white buttercream and topped with chocolate ganache.

So, congratulations Corey and Desaray! And thanks for allowing me this opportunity to challenge myself and advance my cake decorating skills. I also have to thank Nate for being so patient with me the last few days when I was more than a little stressed. He pitched right in and helped me as much as he could, and I wouldn't have survived the last couple of days without him.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Beautiful cake. It makes me want to dig in. I need Wonka-vision to zap it over. Good job. -kevin

RA Girl said...

Great Job Kimberly! If I ever get married (which will never happen), YOU ARE HIRED!! Nate has told me about how wonderful your cakes taste. It looked beautiful. Good Job!

Candice said...

I want to eat some of that cake. :D It looks absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

Kim, A work of art!! Sounds delicious also.

Emily and Dustin said...

It looks beautiful and oh so yummy! I may be knocking on your door come January when someone turns 1 year old! :)