Monday, June 8, 2009

First Dentist Visit

While Nate was at his dentist appointment today, I had him ask the hygenist about Bridget's teeth because she's had some buildup on the front of her bottom teeth that's been bugging me for a couple of months. Brushing a toddler's teeth is no easy task, and she never lets me brush them as well as I'd like to so that's the result. Her pediatrician said not to worry about taking her to the dentist until she's 2, but I thought I'd have Nate ask about it anyway. The hygenist said to go ahead and bring her in that afternoon so she could look at it and try to clean them. In my mind I was thinking there was no way my super wiggley 18-month-old is going to sit still for that, but we can try. Nate and I each tried holding her and she was not going to sit still or even open her mouth to let the hygenist take a peek. She does like to "brush" her own teeth so we tried that, and she wasn't fooled one bit. Finally, we had her lay on Nate's lap with her head in the hygenist's lap while I held her hands and reassured her. Amazingly, that worked! She was able to clean the front of her teeth, but that was about it. I was so proud of Bridget for letting her do that much and will be interested to see how this goes again in 6 months.

2 comments:

Emily and Dustin said...

Yay for Bridget! She's such a good girl!

AWH said...

interesting. my dentist says don't worry about it till 3. at this point, all the teeth are going to fall out anyway. (that last part is my commentary, not the dentists)