Thursday, July 3, 2014

Swimming Lessons

First day

First day

2nd to last day
This summer was Bridget's first experience with swimming lessons. I intended to have her take them last summer but didn't know that you had to register in May to get in. Anyway, she was enrolled in Level 1, and due to my dislike of water/swimming she hasn't really had much experience in large pools.

After the first lesson, I could tell that she had a much bigger fear of the water than I anticipated and couldn't help but feel like it was my fault. The other 6 kids in her class had obviously had lessons before or at least much more experience in the water. She was the only one struggling to do front floats and back floats, and I knew that it was unlikely that she would pass this level in 2 short weeks of lessons.

In order to improve her confidence and give her a little more individual attention, Nate took her swimming 2 evenings during that 2 weeks. It helped a lot, but she still wasn't able to pass her level. I am proud of her for the progress she did make.

I'm going to do my best to not make the same mistake with our other kids and plan on getting them in the pool more and starting at a younger age. Felicity has to be 4 to be in lessons without a parent, and she's already anxious to take lessons next summer.

No comments: