Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Who Needs Sleep?

For the past several days, I've had the chorus from a Barenaked Ladies song running through my head:

Who needs sleep? (well you're never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what's that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you're getting There's a guy who's been awake since the Second World War)

If I were picking a theme song for our family, that song would be the one. I'm feeling very frustrated with Bridget right now because for the past week and a half she's decided to wake up every 2-3 hours during the night and still doesn't take long naps during the day. I probably shouldn't complain because we were very fortunate parents due to the fact that she started sleeping through the night and did most nights from the time she was 6 weeks old. I guess maybe that's why I'm feeling so frustrated. I know she's capable, and I was enjoying getting some decent sleep. I just wish I knew what was causing this. The worst was when she woke up a couple of nights ago at 4 am, it had only been 3 hours since she'd eaten, and nothing would calm her down. An hour later she finally wore herself out and fell asleep. I lose patience very easily when I'm tired which makes it that much harder to handle. I would give anything for a good night's sleep right now, but several people have told me I probably won't get one for several more years.

2 comments:

Candice said...

I love that song. I know that's really no comfort for your lack of sleep but it's probably my favorite Barenaked Ladies song. But aside from that I'm sure it will get better it's bound to get better eventually right?

Unknown said...

This isn't a comment about this post, but rather about your new family photo in your masthead, which features Bridget in the dress WE bought her. Who's brother has WICKED AWESOME baby fashion sense?? W00T!