Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Disney Way

Today I went to a presentation called "Customer Service: The Disney Way". I have always been fascinated with the Disney corporation. They are into everything--theme parks, movies, TV shows, news (ABC), sports (ESPN), radio (Disney Radio)--and for some reason that intrigues me. Any organization that is that multi-faceted is one that I want to know more about (GE is also on this list for me).

So, when I had the chance to attend this presentation, I jumped at it and bought out a coworkers desire to go with one of Kimberly's wonderfully fabulous chocolate chip-coconut-oatmeal cookies. The presentation was by the co-author of the book "The Disney Way", Bill Capodagli (cap-o-die)and it was interesting and informative, although I had heard a lot of this in one of my MBA courses, but the one thing I left with was that my values don't align with those of my company.

To illustrate two of the disconnects I feel right now:
  • Me: I value people for who they are and the knowledge they have

  • Them: they value people for being means to an end and nothing more; there is always someone who will do your job cheaper and therefore the company doesn't need you

  • Me: I want to share information and make my employees feel like they have ownership

  • Them: they don't share anything until the very last moment


  • I realize that every business is out to make a profit and evidently the one I work for is doing fine, but I feel they could do a lot better if they treated their people with respect by allowing them to feel important and needed in the organization. If people feel like they have a stake in what they are doing they will work harder to help the organization meet their goals, as long as those goals are shared (something my company does not do).

    I guess I just needed to vent a little, and I appreciate anyone who is reading and not rolling their eyes thinking I don't have a grip on the reality of business. Believe me, I do. And, now I know why I am looking for a new job. It isn't the money or insurance. It is that my values don't align with the organization, and I can't be happy.

    2 comments:

    Emily and Dustin said...

    This post reminds me of the keynote speaker at Dustin's commencement last year. I can't remember his name, but I believe it was the CEO of T-Mobile. He gave a great speech and it made me wonder why I put up with some of the things I do at work. He reminded everyone to not settle and to go after the things you want. It was very empowering. At the same time, there are a lot of benefits to my job and sometimes I think I complain too much.

    April said...

    GE is really big here in Albany, I think half of our ward works there... hint hint ;)